Monday, June 8, 2015

Dear Ms. Neil

Dear Ms. Neil,

I really appreciate what you wrote to us in your Dear RHD post. It means so much to me that you are inspired by what we do here at Rockets Help Desk. I'm so glad that you are eager and willing to start up your own Help Desk at your school.

Growing the Rockets Help Desk program over the past year has taught me so many things. The first of many is that when you love what your doing, you gain so much more out of it. At the beginning of Rockets Help Desk, I wasn't really sure what it was going to be but I was up for the adventure and it sounded like something I would enjoy being a part of. Since I joined the program in the fall, I've fallen in love with RHD a little more every day. At Rockets Help Desk, I feel that I have a purpose and that there is a point in what I'm doing.

In the past year, we have produced so many things that have impacted so many others. Here at Reading Memorial High School, our Evernote tutorial from the fall is one of our most watched tutorials and many teachers from our school have used it and shown it to their students. By presenting at conferences like Blue Ribbon, we are able to share our ideas and philosophies with teachers from Reading and other surrounding districts. We have even been able to reach people like you, which I think is so amazing.

I've also been given the opportunity to speak to people who do things like this for a job, which allows me to explore different fields and learn from the people in them. We have learned a lot about app production through Google Hangouts with people like Reshan Richards, creator of Explain Everything, and Swaroop Raju, creator of eduCanon. We also took a field trip to NaviSite and learned a lot about how and where data is stored, we even touched "the cloud".

There are also many valuable skills that I have learned during this program that I will hold with me for the rest of my life. I've developed my presentation and public speaking skills through our several presentations, and have learned how effectively communicate information to others by producing app tutorials.

I don't know exactly what the future of RHD holds, and I feel that's exactly how it should be. I hope that our program will continue to evolve next year and in the years to come. I hope it changes to fit the needs and wants of the students involved, so that they can gain as much from the program as I did.

I wish you the best as you grow your own help desk and I hope that you stay true to what you and the students feel is the right path for your program.

Sincerely,
Megan Catalano

No comments:

Post a Comment